Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A Mixed Bag of Feelings

Hadley was spayed yesterday. Brian and I dropped her off at the vet in the morning, she was examined, weighed in at 13 lbs. and was taken away to be given a sedative and prepped for surgery.

We were told to call after 4:30 for an update and, when we did, were told that she's doing fine and can be picked up in the morning. I had been very stoic about the whole procedure but suddenly had a weepy moment questioning if my puppy was in pain or frightened or wondering where we were and why we'd left her. The finality also hit me. It was done. She was spayed. She would never have any puppies of her own.

I knew this was for the best but couldn't help being a little sad about what might have been. It's true the world is full of puppies...even Cavalier Spaniel puppies. But there will never be any Hadley puppies...beautiful, sweet-tempered, happy, boisterous, playful Hadley puppies...and that is certainly sad.

She's home now, lying on my lap as I write this. She has stitches in her belly and is a bit out of sorts but mostly appears less traumatized than her mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment