Friday, June 26, 2009

Got It!

OK...I've figured out her food likes and dislikes and...it's actually pretty cool.  She loves cheese, of course, and I'm being good about staying away from her yummy cheese cubes.  I don't know if she likes peanut butter but I may never find out because I LOVE peanut butter and I would never, ever stay away from it ;)  She also loves chicken which I guess all dogs do but the cool part is that she eats vegetables.

It would never have occured to me to try except that I read about CKC spaniels liking carrots and bell peppers so I tried and it's true.  Interestingly, she doesn't care for bananas but will accept apples, carrots, broccoli, romaine lettuce and bell peppers.  But her favorite is string beans...she adores them!  It's odd but great.  CKC spaniels have a tendency to become overweight and the breed also suffers from genetic heart defects which makes excess weight particularly dangerous.  I really wanted to keep her healthy and avoid high calorie snacks like cheese and biscuits so her love of produce is awesome!

I'm a bit of a health nut myself so fruits and veggies are high on my list plus I love to cook.  It didn't take Hadley long to figure out that keeping me company in the kitchen while I prepare meals can really pay off and, since the veggies are so low in calories, I don't mind giving them to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment