Thursday, September 10, 2009

Another Week...Another Potty Update

It's been just over a week since I bought that can of Pedigree wet dog food and I thought peace had been restored to my house.  The first day I had it, I gave Hadley a little taste and when I saw that she liked it, I mixed two tablespoons of it in with a scoop of her dry kibble.  She pounced on it, wolfed it down, licked the bowl, licked her chops, licked my hand...and pooped in her box.  That was last Wednesday.  I was so happy.  It was so short-lived.

Ever since then, she's back to being persnickety.  Sometimes she'll eat it, sometimes she won't.  Sometimes I can tempt her by holding a spoonful of it under her nose.  Sometimes she just runs away from it.  I have a weird dog.  Other dogs pounce on their food while she couldn't care less about it.  She's not sick, by the way.  Her appetite for people food is just fine, although she's not getting any from me because I want her to eat her dog food. Yes, I know...she'll eat when she's hungry enough but it's making it very difficult to time her bowl movements and complete her potty training.

She was good about pooping in her box on Wednesday and Thursday but pooped on the floor on Friday when I wasn't looking.  Aarrgghh!  Over the long weekend away, we mostly took her outside on the grass after she ate so most of her poops ended up there.  Back at home she was fine on Wednesday but screwed up again on Thursday. So frustrating!  It all sounds so simple in the training books.  You feed 'em and start the poop watch.  About 15 minutes, give or take, they'll either head to the right place or try to go on the floor but you're there to correct and move them to the right location.  Yes...it's all so simple...unless they won't eat their meals!

On the bright side, she hasn't made a pee mistake in over two weeks, not even in a strange environment when we were away.  At least that's something.

No comments:

Post a Comment