Thursday, September 3, 2009

Seasonal Thoughts

I always find myself looking forward to the next season.  Well, three of them, anyway.  All of winter is one long daydream of spring, walks in the park and beautiful blooming flowers.  Hadley was born in the spring.  How lovely to have a puppy in spring.

Then I long for summer with the first appearance of sweet cherries in the market, hot weather, cold drinks and weekends by the water.  How lovely to have a puppy in summer.  This week brought the first taste of cooler autumn weather.  There is still the delightful Labor Day weekend ahead and a final chance to enjoy the sun and the water and the long days.

I don't want to let go of summer, but an autumn-themed Pottery Barn catalog has already arrived in the mail.  I tossed it on my desk and it lay, unopened, for a few days.  I finally broke down and perused it this morning and the inevitable happened.  Pictures of pumpkins and fall leaves and baskets filled with apples have turned my mind to fall.  I didn't want to go there yet, but it happened nonetheless.  I LOVE fall.  I love everything about it.  Hadley got overheated easily this summer but she's never experienced fall.  She will love fall.  We will take long walks together in the crisp weather.  We will watch the leaves change colors.  We will buy apples and pumpkins in the farmer's market and she will keep me company in the kitchen while I bake a pie.  How lovely it will be to have a puppy in the fall.

Family and friends will gather for the holidays and she will enjoy the company.  But then, the new year will come and it will just be winter.  I don't like winter.  I don't like being cold or being cooped up in the house or trudging through snow-covered city streets.  Hadley's coat will be thicker by then so I don't know how cold she will be.  But our walks will be short and both of us will dream of spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment