Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I'm Still Amazed

The weather was so gorgeous last night that I took Hadley for an extra long walk by the river.  We left right after I got home from work and that is prime time for dog walking...everybody was out with their doggies.

I'm still in awe of how much friendlier people are when you're walking a dog, especially a cute little one like Hadley.  We ran into four other CKC Spaniels and those greets are almost mandatory.  But lots of other people stopped to chat, those that had other types of dogs and those that had none at all.  Young, old, male, female, people dressed in jogging clothes, business clothes, medical scrubs.

I spent most of my life without a dog and had no idea how she would enlarge my world.  Granted, the people I spoke to didn't give me their phone numbers and aren't coming over for dinner.  No need...I have friends, family and a boyfriend.  But the social feeling when I'm outside is not one I've ever experienced before.  Hadley and I returned home two hours later and it might as well have been two days.  Any annoyances I may have encountered during my work day were long forgotten.  The vague beginning of a tension headache when I left work was now a distant memory.  Any anxiety about preparing for work the next day wasn't there.

My life at home certainly changed dramatically when a puppy came to live there.  But my experience outside my home changes just as much whenever my hand is holding a pink leash.

No comments:

Post a Comment